LNER Class A3 4472 Flying Scotsman is a Pacific steam locomotive built in 1923 for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at Doncaster Works to a design of Nigel Gresley.It was employed on long-distance express East Coast Main Line trains by the LNER and its successors, British Railways Eastern and North-Eastern Regions, notably on the London to Edinburgh Flying Scotsman train service after which it was named.
- natalie alyn lind dating site
- supermac18 jennxpenn dating sites
- 100 free christiandating websites
- free dating sites in usa only stores
- online spanish dating sites
- translate inggris indonesia terbaik online dating
- la iniciacion de sarah 2006 online dating
It was built as an A1, initially carrying the GNR number 1472, because the LNER had not yet decided on a system-wide numbering scheme.
Flying Scotsman was something of a flagship locomotive for the LNER.
It represented the company at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley Park in 19.
Before this event, in February 1924 it acquired its name and the new number of 4472.
On 25 April 1945, A1-class locomotives not yet rebuilt were reclassified A10 to make way for newer Thompson and Peppercorn Pacifics.
Flying Scotsman emerged from Doncaster Works on 4 January 1947 as an A3, having received a boiler with the long "banjo" dome of the type it carries today.By this time it had been renumbered twice: under Edward Thompson's comprehensive renumbering scheme for the LNER, it became No.502 in January 1946; in May the same year, under an amendment to that plan, it become No. Between 5 June 1950 and 4 July 1954, and between 26 December 1954 and 1 September 1957, under British Railways ownership, it was allocated to Leicester Central shed on the Great Central Railway, running Nottingham Victoria to London Marylebone services via Leicester Central.From then on it was commonly used for promotional purposes.With suitably modified valve gear, this locomotive was one of five Gresley Pacifics selected to haul the prestigious non-stop Flying Scotsman train service from London to Edinburgh, hauling the inaugural train on .For this, the locomotives ran with a new version of the large eight-wheel tender which held nine long tons of coal.